Veganism of color because all oppression – human and nonhuman – is interconnected. Single-issue veganism (known to PoC as “white veganism”) does not represent us.
Vegans of color exist, and we stand against all oppression. Our oppression is connected to nonhuman oppression, and we will not find liberation as long as nonhumans remain otherized and used to otherize people of color.
Veganism of color rejects speciesism in addition to anti-blackness, colorism, racism, xenophobia, ableism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, classism, and all other -“isms”.
Consistent anti-oppression, inclusive of nonhumans and anti-speciesism, in the social justice spectrum is a must if we are going to successfully create a just world.
Our challenge to you?
- Reject human supremacy in the same way that you reject white supremacy.
- Recognize that the oppression of people of color is linked to nonhuman oppression; both oppressions are justified through the same means. We will not find justice if we keep otherizing the same living beings that are used to otherize us.
- As a marginalized person of color, recognize your hand in oppression over nonhumans and humans that face oppression that you yourself do not experience.
- Educate yourself on the oppressions that you yourself have a hand in.
- Add veganism to your anti-oppression and social justice work. It’s as easy as being mindful of your daily choices and ensuring that you choose the option with the least oppression involved.
THIS website is your starting point.
Sit back, click around, and get to know the resources linked on this site.
“Because I’m a civil rights activist, I am also an animal rights activist. Animals and humans suffer and die alike. Violence causes the same pain and the same spilling of blood, the same stench of death, the same arrogant, cruel and vicious taking of life. We shouldn’t be a part of it.”
– Dick Gregory (1932-2017)